Chambers County is named for Thomas Jefferson Chambers, who was an early lawyer in Texas.
Created: February 12, 1858
Wallisville 1858 – 1908
Anahuac 1908 – present
County Courthouse – Anahuac
Location: 404 Washington Avenue / Stowell Street
Built: 1935 – 1936
Style: Art Deco and Moderne
Architect: Cornell G Curtis
Contractor: Robert E McKee
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored porous stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has three entrances with vertical piasters. On the north and south sides the building projects and there are lower wings with entrances. The roof line is flat. The construction was a Work Projects Administration project.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Wallisville in 1858 and burned in 1875. The second courthouse was designed and constructed by August Baumbach in Anahuac at a cost of $7,376 in Wallisville in 1887. The third courthouse was a brick structure designed by A W Steinmar and constructed by W C Whitney in 1912 at a cost of $50,000. The building burned in 1935 and was replaced by the fourth and present courthouse in 1936 at a cost of $276,000.
E – Jefferson County
S – Gulf of Mexico and Galveston County
Photos taken 2014