Galveston County is named for Bernardo de Galver, who was a Spanish governor of the Louisiana Territory and an ally of the United States during the American Revolution.
Created: May15, 1838
Galveston 1839 – present
Old County Courthouse – Galveston
Location: 722 Moody ( 21st ) Street / Avenue G
Built: 1965 – 1966
Architect: Raymond R Rap, Jr and Ben J Koten & Associates
Contractor: W R Grimshaw Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a six story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. On the west side of the building is a treed plaza. The first story has a wide brown colored band of concrete supported by concrete pillars. The upper stories have a concrete lattice over the recessed windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1838. The second courthouse as built in 1857. The third courthouse was a three story stone structure designed by Eugene Thomas Heiner in 1882. The fourth courthouse was a three story stone structure designed by Nicholas Joseph Clayton in 1892. The fifth courthouse was a four story structure was designed by Messer, Sanquinet & Messer and constructed by James T Taylor in 1898 and was partially destroyed by a hurricane in 1900. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $2,529,000.
County Justice Center – Galveston
Location: 600 59th Street / Avenue J ( Broadway )
Built: 2005 – 2006
Architect: Bay Architects
Contractor: Kelso / Gilbane (J W Kelso Construction / Gilbane Building Company)
Description: The building faces south and is a five story concrete, brick glass and metal structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the west side of the city. The center section has a round tower with reflective glass on the upper stories. The wings also have reflective glass with square brick towers at the corners. The roof line is flat.
Note: The cost of construction was $92,000,000.
N – Harris County
E – Chambers County and Gulf of Mexico
S – Gulf of Mexico
W – Brazoria County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2014