Liberty County is named for the town of Liberty which was the third oldest town in Texas named for the sentiment of the inhabitants.
Created: March 17, 1836
Liberty 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Liberty
Location: 1923 Sam Houston Street / Main Street
Built: 1930 – 1931
Architect: Cornell G Curtis and A E Thomas
Contractor: M H Ryland of Uvalde
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a recessed center section with concrete framed central entrance at the top of a wide steps. Vertical concrete pilasters divide the windows. The north side has a similar façade. The east and west wings project from the main building. A horizontal cornice runs along the basement section. The roof line is flat. The two story Annex Building was added on the west side in 1956 to 1957. The architect was Wyatt C Hedrick.
Note: The first courthouse was a log cabin structure built in 1831. The second courthouse was a wood frame structure built in 1843. The third courthouse was a two story frame structure built by John Booth in 1850. The fourth courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1857 at a cost of $6000 and burned in 1972. The fifth courthouse was a two story brick structure built by Thomas & Werney in 1877. The sixth courthouse was a three story red colored brick structure designed and constructed by Martin, Byrne, Johnston & Applegate of Victoria in 1896 at a cost of $35,757. The seventh and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $210,000.
S – Chambers County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2014