Muskegon County is named for the Muskegon River which is named for the Ojibwe Native American word ”mashkiigoong” meaning “in the swamp” or “in the marsh”.
Created: February 4, 1859
Muskegon 1859 – present
County Courthouse – Muskegon
Location: 990 Terrace Street / West Apple Avenue
Built: 1958 – 1960
Architect: Magnuson and Sumner and O J Munson Associates
Contractor: Herlihy Mid-Continent Company
Description: The building faces west and is a six story white colored stone, glass and concrete structure. The building has a small canopy at the west entrance. On the east side is a large covered entrance. Stone facing is on the north and south walls and windows with blue colored panels on each story on the east and west sides. The building is named as the Michael E Koza Hall of Justice. In 2001, a new entrance was constructed. The architect was Hooker De Jong Architects and the contractor was Clifford Buck Construction.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by George Garnsey of Chicago, Illinois and constructed by Samuel Barrows in 1870 at a cost of $46,183.80. The building was destroyed by fire. The previous courthouse was designed by Sidney J Osgood and constructed by P J Connell & Sons in 1893 at a cost of $100,000. The building was razed for construction of the present courthouse. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $3,125,000..
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Oceana County
S – Ottawa County
W – Lake Michigan
Photos taken 2008