Ottawa County

US States / M / Michigan / Ottawa County
0349O15

Ottawa County is named for the Ottawa Native American tribe.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Muskegan County 

E – Kent County

S – Allegan County

 Lake Michigan

 

Created:  March 2, 1831                         Map of Michigan highlighting Ottawa County

County Seat:

Grand Haven  1855 – present

 

County Courthouse – Grand Haven  

 

Location:  414 Washington Avenue / South 4th Street

Built:  2008 – 2010

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Fishbeck, Thompson, Carr and Huber of Grand Rapids

Contractor:  Owens Ames Kimball of Grand Rapids

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Grand Haven. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Grand Haven. The building has a raised basement and has square corner towers. The west front has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story and rising to a peak at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large square cupola with hipped roof. The base of the building is buff colored stone. In the interior is a large entrance lobby. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 20th Judicial District and County District Court.  The design consultant was HRD, Inc of Chicago, Illinois.

 

Former County Courthouse – Grand Haven  

 

1243mc08

 

Location:  414 Washington Avenue / South 4th Street

Built:  1964 – 1965

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Vander, Meiden & Koteles of Grand Rapids

Contractor:  Osterink Construction Company of Grand Rapids

 

Description:  The building faced northwest and was a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building was located in the center of Grand Haven on the northwest side of the courthouse. The building had an overhanging roof supported by thin pillars. The south wing was recessed. The windows had white colored panels between the stories. On the southeast side is the new courthouse being constructed in 2008. The building was razed in 2010.

 

History:  The county was created in 1831 and Grand Haven was selected as the county seat in 1837. The court met in Kent County until the first courthouse, a wood structure was built by Revend William M Ferry in 1836 on the corner of Second Street and Franklin Street. The building was razed in 1893. The second courthouse was a larger two story wooden structure built in 1857 at a cost of $2,000. The third courthouse was a brick structure designed b W K Johnston & Post and built by Ward & Russell of Flint in 1893 to 1894 at a cost of $62,661. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1964 to 1965 at a cost of $693,253. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 2008 to 2009 at a cost of $23,000,000. The Ottawa County Complex with Juvenile, Family and Probate and Administratio was constructed in 1993 to 1994

 

County Complex – Administration Building – West Olive  

 

0357o15

 

Location:  12120

Built:  1993 – 1994

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces e4ast and is aone story light red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Ottawa County Complex in Pigeon Creek Park to the northeast of West Olive. The building has high central section with dark colored glass tower rising above the flat roof line. The entrance is recessed and wings extend north and south. To the east, the County Complex also includes the County Circuit Court – Juvenile of the 20th Judicial District, County Family Court and County Probate Court. 

 

Note:  The County District Court is located in Holland at 85 West 8th Street and in Hudsonville at 3100 Port Sheldon Street

 

 

0338o15

County Courthouse – Grand Haven

 

 

0342o15

 

 

0339o15

 

 

0345o15

 

 

0346o15

 

 

1246mc08

New courthouse construction 2008

 

 

1245mc08

 

 

1241mc08

Former County Courthouse – Grand Haven

 

 

1242mc08

 

 

1244mc08

 

 

0353o15

 

 

0354o15

 

 

0355o15

 

 

0358o15

County Complex – Administration Building – West Ollive

 

 

0359o15

 

 

0360o15

 

 

0361o15

 

 

0362o15

 

 

0363o15

County Complex – Courts Building – West Olive

 

 

0364o15

 

 

0365o15

Photos taken 2008 and 2015