Newaygo County is named for Chief Newaygo, who was a Chippewa Indian chief named “Naw-wa-goo”, or the Native American word “kenewaygoing” meaning “place where boy have fish bone in throat”.
Created: March 31, 1856
Newaygo 1856 – 1910
White Cloud 1910 – present
County Courthouse – White Cloud
Location: 1092 Newell Street / William Street
Built: 1991 – 1992
Architect: Manyam and Associates Inc.
Contractor: DeVere Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building has the entrance on the north side in the center and facing east. On the north front is a horizontal row of windows on the east side. The west side extends north and has few windows. An addition was added on the west side in 2001 and completed in 2002. The architect was GSG Architects Inc. of Muskegon and the contractor was VanDonkelaar Construction Inc. of Muskegon.
Note: The first courthouse in Newaygo was constructed in 1868. In 1910, the courthouse occupied the White Cloud City Hall which was constructed in 1908. The contractor was Jacobson Construction.
County Administration – White Cloud
Location: 1087 Newell Street / William Street
Built: 1979 – 1980
Architect: Daniels & Zermack Associates
Contractor: Lakewood Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick, concrete and glass building. The building has a large red colored roofed portico at the central entrance. The east side is buff colored brick with a red colored roof. The west side is light pink colored brick and this addition was added in 2001 and completed in 2002. The architect was GSG Architects Inc. of Muskegon and the contractor was VanDonkelaar Construction Inc. of Muskegon.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Lake County
Photos taken 2008 and 2015