Kent County is named for Chancellor James Kent, who was a celebrated New York jurist.
Created: March 2, 1831
Grand Rapids 1832 – present
County Courthouse – Grand Rapids
Location: 180 Ottawa Avenue NW / Lyon Street NW
Built: 2000 – 2001
Architect: Tower, Finkster, Titus Associates and Kellmuth, Grata, Kassabaum Inc.
Contractor: Owen-Ames-Kimball Company
Description: The building faces west and is a twelve story glass, stone and concrete structure. The west side has a two story entrance hall projecting from the main building. Vertical windows are divided by vertical stone faced sections. The Hall of Justice was razed to make room for the new courthouse.
County Administration – Grand Rapids
Location: 300 Monroe Avenue / Michigan Street NW
Built: 1967 – 1969
Architect: Bryon & Nachtegall
Contractor: Owens, Ames & Kimball
Description: The building faces east and is a three story glass, steel and concrete structure. The glass walls are recessed with vertical pillars along the exterior. The roof line is flat.The building is located on the plaza with the City Hall on the north side.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Sidney J Osgood and constructed by Western Construction Company in 1892.
Photos taken 2008