Placentia was named after an old Basque villa called “Placencia de las Armas” which was located in the Gipuzkoa province of the Basque Country. Or from the Latin “placentia”, a name probably given by the Basque fishermen.
Location: Placentia located in the eastern part of Newfoundland Island along the Avalon Peninsula.
Judicial District: St. John’s Judicial District
Courthouse – Placentia
Location: 1 Prince William Drive / Jubilee Road
Style: Second Empire
Architect: William Henry Churchill, Superintendent of Public Works
Description: The building faces east and is a three story white coloured wood frame structure. The east front has a projecting square tower with large clock at the top. There is a central entrance along the front. The roof is mansard with four dormer windows. In 1955 the tower roof was removed. The building served as a courthouse until 2009 and presently houses the Eastern Health office.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1774