Trinity was named by the Portuguese explorer Gaspar Corte-Real as “Trinity” as he arrived on Trinity Sunday in 1501.
Location: Trinity located in the north eastern part of Newfoundland Island on the northeast shore along the Atlantic Ocean.
Judicial District: Clarenville Judicial District
Courthouse – Trinity
Location: Dock Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Second Empire
Architect: William Henry Churchill
Contractor: Local labour
Description: The building faces east and is a three story white coloured wood frame structure. The front has a central projection square wood tower with three windows and clock at the top. The roof is mansard. The building housed the magistrate’s office, jail and postal-telegraph office.
Note: The cost of construction was $5,000. In 1973, the court was moved to Bonavista.