Saint George’s was named for Saint George of Great Britain and St. George’s Bay.
Location: Saint George’s is located in the southwestern part of Newfoundland Island on Saint George’s Bay.
Judicial District: Stephenville Judicial District
Courthouse – Saint George’s
Location: 1 Court House Road / Main Street
Built: 1903 – 1904
Style: Second Empire
Architect: William Henry Churchill, Superintendent of Public Works
Contractor: Local labour
Description: The building faces north and is a two story light yellow coloured wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of Saint George’s. The north front has a central projecting tower. The red coloured roof is mansard with dormer windows and the foundation is concrete. The building had a large courtroom with covered ceiling on the second story and the first story contained the Post Office, Customs Office, three bedrooms, a palour and a day room. In the basement are four cells. The building was renovated in 1943 and in 1952. The building houses a museum.
Note: The first courthouse was built on Sandy Point and was in disrepair in 1903.
Photos taken 2019