Garza County is named for a pioneer Bexar County family of which Jose Antonio de la Garza was a well-known member.
Created: August 21, 1876
Post 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Post
Location: 300 West Main Street / North Avenue L
Built: 1922 – 1923
Style: Texas Renaissance
Architect: Guy A Carlander of Amarillo
Contractor: Fred T Bone Company of Amarillo
Description: The building faces east and is a three story dark brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a protruding brick entrance with stone band over the doorway. Above the entrance are three long vertical windows. A wide horizontal white stone band runs above the third story windows. There is stone trim along the flat roof line. The courtroom is located at the center of the second story. On the west side is a one story annex constructed in 1973. The architect was Whitaker and Hall and the contractor was Pharr Construction Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1908.
N – Crosby County
E – Kent County
W – Lynn County
Law Enforcement Facility
Charles W Post statue
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019