Scurry County is named for William Read Scurry, who was a Texas state legislator and a Confederate general who was killed at the Battle of Jenkins Ferry.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Fisher County
S – Mitchell County
W – Borden County
Created: August 21, 1876
Snyder 1884 – present
County Courthouse – Snyder
Location: 4806 25th Street / Avenue R
Built: 1909 – 1911
Style: Texas Renaissance
Architect: Otto Lang and Frank Mitchell of Dallas
Contractor: M S Hash Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The tower was removed in 1950, and in 1972, the building was remodeled and faced with polished reddish colored granite. Large vertical cement buttresses divide the exterior. Around the roof line is a wide black colored band atop the concrete header of the buttresses. The north side has the recessed main entrance. The District Court courtroom is located on the west side of the third story and the County Court courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. The architect for the remodeling was Joseph D Hinton and the contractor was Herman Bennett Company.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1886. The building was demolished in 1911 when the second and present courthouse was constructed.
County Courthouse - Snyder
County Courthouse in 1911
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019