Drumheller is named for Colonel Samuel Drumheller, who bought land in 1910 and who started coal mining operations in 1911.
Location: Drumheller is located in the central part of the Province.
Judicial District: Drumheller / Hanna Judicial District
Courthouse – Drumheller
Location: 511 3rd Avenue / 5th Street West
Built: 1983 – 1984
Architect: Leblond Partnership
Description: The building faces north and is a one story concrete, brick and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the centre of Drumheller. The building is comprised of a number of square arches with the main building rising in tiers. The main entrance is on the west side of the north front. The building houses the Court of Queen’s Bench and the Provincial Court.
Note: The cost of construction was $3,287,812.
Old Courthouse – Drumheller
Location: 703 2nd Avenue / 6th Street West
Built: 1953 – 1954
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Public Works Department
Contractor: Buchanan Construction Company of Edmonton
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the west side of the centre of Drumheller. The north front has a slightly projecting limestone section with the entrance on the first story. There is a canopy over the entrance. The roof line is flat. The former courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. The building presently is vacant.
Note: The cost of construction was $242,030.
Photos taken 2013 and 2019