Old Palais de Justice – Saint Michael de Bellechasse
Location: 8 Avenue Saint Charles
Built: 1859 – 1860
Architect: Majorique Mercier of Saint-Michael
Contractor: Majorique Mercier of Saint-Michael
Description: The building faces west and is a two story wood frame structure. The building is located on a slight slope in the centre of the tow. The building has a central staircase rising to the entrance. The rectangular building is 40 feet by 30 feet. On the hipped roof are five dormers. The building ceased to serve as a courthouse in 1899 and now houses the Bibliotheque Benoit Lacoix.
Note: The courthouse was planned by the Council of Bellechasse and the contract was awarded to Majorique Mercier, who was a carpenter in Saint-Michael.
See: The Montmagny Judicial District palais de justice is located in Montmagny..
Old Palais de Justice
Photos taken 2018