Maui County

US States / H-L / Hawaii / Maui County
200H71

Maui County is named for “Maui”, who was a demigod from native mythology

 

Created:  July 1, 1905

County Seat: 

Lahania  1795 – 1905

Wailuku  1905 – present

 

Old Lahania Courthouse – Lahania

 

Location:  648 Wharf Street / Canal Street

Built:  1859 – 1860

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  George Thomas

Contractor:  George Thomas

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story cream colored stucco, coral block and wood structure. The building is located in Banyan Tree Park. The west front has a large central portico supported by four high columns. And with recessed entrance on the first story and balcony on the second story. The hipped roof has red colored tiles. The building was renovated in 1925. The architect was William D’Esmond. The building was restored in 1998. The building is now houses the Lahaina Visitor Center, Lahaina Arts Society galleries, and Lahaina Town Action Committee offices

 

Note:  The courthouse served as a customs house for whaling and trade ships as well as a center for government offices and court functions during the Monarchy period. Constructed between 1858-1859 on the site of the Old Fort. The courthouse was built with coral block and other materials that came from Kamehameha III’s unfinished western palace ( Hale Piula ), which was destroyed during a fierce Kauaula wind.

 

County Courthouse – Wailuku

 

Location:  2145 Main Street /  South Church Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north.and is a five story concrete and glass structure. 

 

Courthouses: 

N – Pacific Ocean

E – Pacific Ocean

S – Hawaii County and Pacific Ocean

W – Honolulu County

 

Photos taken 1970