Washburn County is named for Cadwallader Washburn, who was Governor of Wisconsin from 1872 to 1874.
Created: March 27, 1883
Shell Lake 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Shell Lake
Location: 10 4th Avenue / 1st Street
Built: 1988 – 1989
Architect: Bray Associates Architects Inc
Contractor: Vonasak & Schieffer Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The north front has pillars on the first story and the center of the second story protrudes over the entrance forming a portico and faced with a yellow colored stone which forms a pattern. The windows are narrow in a horizontal line on the second story. At the south rear of the building is a connecting hallway with the Law Enforcement Building on the southwest side.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1889.
N – Douglas County
E – Sawyer County
S – Barron County
W – Burnett County
Photos taken 2007 and 2008