Sawyer County is named for Philetus Sawyer, who was a United States Senator from Wisconsin from 1881 to 1893.
Created: March 10, 1883
Hayward 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Hayward
Location: 10610 Main Street / West 5th Street
Built: 1961 – 1962
Architect: Larson-Playter-Smith of Eau Claire
Contractor: Kramschuster Incorporated
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The southwest front has a pitched roof over the glassed entrance with red colored wood finish. To the west the section has stone facing and on the east is dark red colored siding. The southeast wing is two stories and descends down the low hill. Wings were added in 1992 and 1998.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by N B Rundle in 1884.
S – Rusk County
W – Washburn County
Photos taken 2007 and 2010