Polk County is named for James K Polk, who was the eight President of the United States of America.
Created: March 14, 1853
Balsam Lake 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Balsam Lake
Location: 1005 West Main Street / Highway 46 West
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Venture Architect of Milwaukee
Contractor: Miron Construction of Black River Falls
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front entrance section has a circular second story with vertical brick dividers on the first story forming a semi circle. The rest of the building has square lines. The roof line is flat. The building is called the “Polk County Justice Center”.
County Administration – Balsam Lake
Location: 100 Polk County Plaza / Highway 46 West
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: Hirsch Associates Inc. of Hudson
Contractor: Bor-Son Construction Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story grey concrete and glass structure. The south front has a recessed central entrance with horizontal window above. The west section extends from the main building. The windows are horizontal and the roof line is flat. The building descends a slope towards the north. The building is called the “polk County Government Center”.
Old County Courthouse – Balsam Lake
Location: 120 Main Street / Mill Street
Built: 1899 – 1900
Architect: Orff & Guilbert
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The first story entrance extends from the main building and has an arch and balcony on the second story. Behind the entrance rises a five story square brick tower with peaked roof. On each of the building corners are large square towers with peaked roofs. The building is now the Polk County Museum
N – Burnett County
E – Barron County