Kewaunee County

US States / V-Z / Wisconsin / Kewaunee County
Kewaunee

Kewaunee County is named for a Potawatomi word meaning “river of the lost”, or for an Ojibwe word meaning “prairie hen, wild duck or to go around”.

 

Created:   April 16, 1852

County Seat: 

Kewaunee  1857 – present

 

County Courthouse – Kewaunee

 

Location:  613 Dodge Street / Kilbourn Street

Built:  1873 – 1874

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Joseph Meashek

Contractor:  Joseph Meashek

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building sits at the top of a rise. The east front has a square white portico. On either side of the entrance are three story red colored brick towers with white balustrade at the top. White limestone trims the corners of the old south section of the building. The building was enlarged and remodeled in 1902. The architect was A E Reynolds Green Bay and the contractor was Rademacher and Lange of Appleton. The building was enlarged in 1938. The architect was W C Weeks, Inc. of Sheboygan and the contractor was Jacob Houmes of Sheboygan, The old jail is located on the south side.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Door County 

E – Lake Michigan 

S – Manitowoc County

W – Brown County

 

 

382lm07

 

 

383lm07

Photos taken 2007