Kenosha County is named for the Ojibwe word “ginoozhe” meaning “a pike ( fish )”.
Created: January 30, 1850
Kenosha 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Kenosha
Location: 1010 56th Street / Sheridan Road
Built: 1923 – 1925
Architect: Joseph Lindl, Charles Lesser & Albert J Schutte
Contractor: Hutter Construction Company of Fond du Lac
Description: The building faces south and is a three story limestone and stone structure. The building is constructed with gray colored Indiana limestone with the east and west wings projecting from the building. The long center section has stone Ionic columns rising from the second to third story. The first story entrance has three doorways framed with stone. The building contains many murals.
N – Racine County
E – Lake Michigan
W – Walworth County
Photos taken 2007