Door County is named for a dangerous strait near the peninsula which was known to the French as “porte des mortes” meaning “door of the dead”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Lake Michigan
S – Kewaunee County
Created: February 11, 1851
Gibraltar 1841 – 1857
Sturgeon Bay 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Sturgeon Bay
Location: 421 Nebraska Street / South 4th Avenue
Built: 1956 – 1958
Architect: Foeller, Schober, Berners, Safford & Jahn of Green Bay
Contractor: Dick Oudenhoven Construction of Kaukauna
Description: The building faces west and is a three story sand colored brick and concrete structure. The entrance on the west side is a one story concrete and glass lobby with a silver colored roof. The roof line is flat. The complex is called the “Government Center” and the County Offices are along the south side. In 1991, the old part of the building which had been built in 1887 being the original courthouse, was demolished and the 1958 addition was renovated in 1991 to 1992. The architect was Ayers & Associates of Green Bay and the contractor was Howard Immel Inc. of Green Bay.
County Justice Center – Sturgeon Bay
Location: 1205 South Duluth Avenue
Built: 2003 – 2005
Architect: Stubenrauch Architects Inc. of Appleton
Contractor: Miron Construction Company Inc. of Green Bay
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, buff colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the southwest of the center of Sturgeon Bay. The north front has a triangular section at the center with large glass windows and recessed entrance. The room line is flat.
History: The county was created in 1851 and Gibraltar was designated as the county seat. The county seat was moved to Sturgeon Bay in 1857. The first courthouse was a two story structure built in 1857 to 1858. The second courthouse was designed by H C Koch & Company of Milwaukee and constructed by Bell & Cole of Oshkosh in 1878 at a cost of $12,542 on the southwest corner of Main Street and Spruce Street. The courthouse was remodeled in 1920 and the contractor was Henry Anschutz of Sturgeon Bay. An addition was constructed in 1956 to 1958 on the west end of the courthouse. The addition became the third and present courthouse when the 1878 courthouse was demolished in 1991. The courthouse was renovated in 1991 to 1992.
Coumnty Courthouse – Sturgeon Bay
Photos taken 2007