Ashland County is named for Henry Clay’s farm “Ashland” in Kentucky.
Created: March 27, 1860
Ashland 1860 – present
County Courthouse – Ashland
Location: 201 West 2nd Avenue / West Main Street
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Neo-Classical / Beaux Arts
Architect: Henry Wildhagen of Ashland
Contractor: Herman W Buemming of Milwaukee
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story limestone and sandstone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. Square pillars rise from the second to third story on all sides. Over the southeast front entrance is a small protruding balcony. On the roof line is a wide stone border with green colored roof above. The courtroom is located on the second story.
Note: The cost of construction in 1915 was $134,363.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by S V Shipman and constructed by B F Bicksler 1n 1877.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Ashland County Courthouse
E – Iron County
Photos taken 2006 and 2015