Wetzel County is named for Lewis Wetzel, who was a noted frontiersman.
Created: January 10, 1846
New Martinsville 1846 – present
County Courthouse – New Martinsville
Location: 200 Main Street / Washington Street
Built: 1900 – 1902
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque Revival
Architect: W Chamberlin Company and W J Alexander
Contractor: Caldwell and Drake
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored sandstone structure. The east front has a one story portico at the central entrance. Behind the portico rises a high square tower with open center for the bells and above a clock and steep red roof. Each corner of the building has a square tower with steep red roof. The south side has an arched entrance on the first story. During construction of the building, J H Braun was the superintendent. On the north side of the building is the Sheriff Residence.
W – Monroe County, Ohio
Photos taken 2012