Randolph County is named for Edmund Jennings Randolph, who was a United States Attorney General and a Governor of Virginia.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Webster County
Created: October 1786
Beverly 1787 – 1900
Elkins 1900 – present
County Courthouse – Elkins
Location: 2 Randolph Avenue / High Street
Built: 1902 – 1904
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: J Charles Fulton of Uniontown, Pennsylvania
Contractor: John P Conn
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Elkins. Walls are backed with brick and faced in rock-faced stone with contrasting smooth and textured stone trim. The southwest front of the rectangular shaped building has a central entrance with large projecting arch and recessed doorway. Above on the second story are three large arched windows. An engaged buttress, rising to the level of the second floor left of entrance carries an above life-size classical style Figure holding aloft the scales of justice. On the south side of the entrance is a four story tower with opening near the top and a steep green colored roof. On the north side is a corner tower with steep conical roof. The red colored roof is hipped. The courtroom on the second story is octagonal and contains 300 seats. The bench is elevated two feet above the floor. On the northeast side is the old County Jail, on the northwest side is the County Courthouse Annex and on the southwest side is the County Judicial Annex.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Randolph County Courthouse
Old County Courthouse – Beverley
Location: 4 Court Street / Main Street
Built: 1908 – 1915
Architect: Soloman Colett
Contractor: Soloman Colett
Description: The building faces north is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of Beverly. The building faces north and was completed in 1815. The north front has a central entrance on the first story with window on either side. The second story has three windows. Above is a gabled roof. In the 1830s, additions were built onto the south and east facades of the building to house offices for the county clerk and circuit clerk. The bell tower was also added in the 1830s. The building served as the courthouse until 1899.
History: The county was created in 1787 and Beverly was selected as the county seat. The first meeting of the court was held at the home of Benjamin Wilson in Tygart’s Valley in 1787. The first courthouse was a log structure erected in 1789 with logs provided by James Westfall. The second courthouse was constructed in 1808 to 1815 at a cost of $1,200 and is still standing. The county seat was moved to Elkins in 1900. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1902 to 1904 at a cost of $200,000.
County Courthouse – Elkins
County Jail – Elkins
County Courthouse Annex – Elkins
County Judicial Annex – Elkins
Old County Courthouse – Bevarly
Photos taken 2012