Preston County is named for James Patton Preston, who was a Governor of Virginia.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Fayette County, Pennsylvania
E – Garrett County, Maryland
S – Tucker County
Created: January 19, 1818
Kingwood 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Kingwood
Location: 101 West Main Street / South Price Street
Built: 1933 – 1934
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Johnson Construction Company of Beckley
Contractor: Johnson Construction Company of Beckley
Description: The building faces north and is a three story steel, stone and concrerte structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Kingwood. The square shaped building is constructed of pink sandstone quarried locally. The north front has a recessed central entrance on the first story. There is an entrance on the west side. There are vertical pilasters between the double windows. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 18th Judicial Circuit, County Magistrates Court and Family Court. On the north side is the County Courthouse Annex and on the west side is the County Jail (1925).
History: The county was created in 1818 and Kingwood was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a building owned by John Robert known as the Old Red Court House. The second courthouse was a two story structure stone structure built by William G Zinn in 1821 to 1824. The third courthouse was a brick structure built by John McGrew in 1850 to 1857 at a cost of $9,800. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on March 7, 1869. The third courthouse was a brick structure built by Robert McCafferty, S W Smally and A B Menear at a cost of $11,000 in 1869 to 1870. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1933 to 1934 at a cost of $113.500.
County Courthouse - Kingwood
County Courthouse Annex – Kingwood
County Jail – Kingwood
Photos taken 2012