Pendleton County is named for Edmund Pendleton, who was a member of the first Continental Congress.
Created: December 4, 1788
Franklin 1788 – present
County Courthouse – Franklin
Location: 100 South Main Street / Walnut Street
Built: 1925 – 1926
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Snyder Brothers of Keyser
Contractor: Snyder Brothers of Keyser
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The east front has a large portico with four tall white columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The entrance on the first story is framed with small pediment above. On the center of the roof is a high square white cupola. Filigreed brackets are used for trim around the roof. On the north side is an entrance with six columns rising to a header at the roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse constructed in 1889, was destroyed by fire on April 17, 1924. The Commission Minutes do not show that an architect was hired and it is presumed that the contractor used the existing plans for the current courthouse.
S – Highland County, Virginia
Photos taken 2012