Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
W – Summers County
Created: January 14, 1799
Union 1799 – present
County Courthouse – Union
Location: 350 Main Street / North Street
Built: 1881 – 1882
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Charles C Kemble of Wheeling
Contractor: A C Houston ( supervisor )
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Union. The bricks for the building were made locally. The north front has a projecting central section with recessed entrance with sloped roof above. On the second story are two arched windows and the center section rises to a peaked roof. There are projecting center section on the north and south sides which rise to peaks above the roof line. On the east side is an addition. The building has arched windows and a hipped roof. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 31st Judicial Circuit, County Magistrate Court and County Family Court. In 1975, an addition was constructed on the east side. In 2012 the building was restored. The architect is Mills Group of Clarksburg and the contractor is Tri Sate Roofing & Sheet Metal Company of Charleston. On the east side is the old brick jail.
Note: The Commission minutes show that an architect was hired to prepare plans. A C Houston was appointed to supervise construction at $8000. The minutes do not show who was hired to construct the building, so it is presumed that local labor and trades were used. It is also presumed that Charles C Kemble was the architect as the courthouse resembles Woodburn Hall at the University of West Virginia in Morganstowns, which building was designed by Charles C Kemble. The building plans were lost by the contractor who was a local tradesman when the plans blew out of his wagon.
See: The 31st Judicial District includes Summers County.
History: The county was created in 1799 and Union was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the Fletcher-Ellis House on Green Hill Road. The first courthouse was a two story log structure built in 1802. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure with tall white colored colonial columns in front and a cupola topped with a spire, built in 1820. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1881 to 1882 at a cost of $8,000.
County Courthouse – Union
Picture 1820 County Courthouse
Photos taken 2012