Monongalia County is named for the Monongahela River which means “falling banks” in the Native American language.
Created: October 7, 1776
Geneva ( Pennsylvania ) 1776 – 1783
Morgantown 1782 – present
County Courthouse – Morgantown
Location: 243 High Street / Walnut Street
Built: 1890 – 1891
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: James Bailey of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania
Contractor: George W L Mayers of Fairmont
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick structure. On the east side of the building is a small plaza. The east front has a central high square red colored brick tower with steep roof. On the north side of the tower are the recessed entrance with stone arch and a round tower with conical roof. On the south side of the front, a section projects from the main building and rises to a sloped roof with a gabled roof above. On the south side is another lower square tower.
E – Preston County
W – Wetzel County
Photos taken 2012