Mercer County is named for Hugh Mercer, who was a Brigadier General during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: March 17, 1837
Princeton 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Princeton
Location: 1501 Main Street / Scott Street
Built: 1930 – 1931
Style: Art Deco / Moderne
Architect: Alex B Mahood
Contractor: Boone, Eason & Wood
Description: The building faces south and is a four story Indiana limestone structure. The building is designed in the form of an “H” with projecting east and west two story wings. The first story has a recessed central entrance. Vertical windows rise from the second to the third stories. The fourth story has small windows. The building is embellished with Roman architectural motifs including faces, medallions, engaged pilasters and fluting. The friezes depict in heroic form the progress of the county from pioneer times and terminate in images of the machine age. Friezes above the front and rear doors were designed by Mrs. S L Mahood, the mother of the architect. The roof line is flat
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1839 by Ledbetter and was destroyed by fire in 1862. The next courthouse was built in 1874 by Andrew Fillinger and was destroyed by fire the following year in 1875. The previous courthouse was constructed in 1876 by D W McClaughterty and additions were added in 1888 constructed by John C Darst and in 1909 constructed by Witt Brothers.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Mercer County Courthouse
County Courthouse Annex – Princeton
Location: 120 Scott Street / Main Street
Built: 2003 – 2005
Architect: E Todd Bogess
Contractor: Swope Construction Company
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story glass and concrete structure. The center section has a framed entrance with pilasters and pediment at the roof line. On either side of the center section are curved glass walls. The southeast wing and north west wing have flat roof lines.
E – Giles County, Virginia
Photos taken 2012