Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.
Created: January 14, 1842
Fairmont 1842 – present
County Courthouse – Fairmont
Location: 219 Adams Street / Jefferson Street
Built: 1897 – 1900
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Joseph Warren Yost and Frank L Packard of Columbus, Ohio
Contractor: Westwater and Company of Columbus, Ohio and C A Abernathy
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The southeast front has a large portico with six columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. Within the tympanum are decorative figures of scales, an eagle with outstretched wings, a mining car, a shovel and a male figure representing justice, power, agriculture and mining. There are porticoes on the north and south sides. On the center of the roof is a large dome with clock and small cupola at the top where the Statue of Justice stands. Around the roof line is a balustrade. During construction, the superindent was T L Burchinal. On the south side is the old Sheriff Residence with Jail.
W – Wetzel County
Photos taken 2012