Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.
Created: January 8, 1801
Charles Town 1801 – 1866
Shepherdstown 1866 – 1871
Charles Town 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Charles Town
Location: 100 East Washington Street / George Street
Built: 1836 – 1837
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: S N Lackland, T N Douglas and Andrew Kennedy
Contractor: S N Lackland, T N Douglas and Andrew Kennedy
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The south front has a large portico with four large white Grecian Doric columns rising to a pediment at the gabled roof. Above the portico is a large square wood cupola with clock and green dome at the top. The building was restored in 1871 to 1872. The contractor was Phillips and Cockrill for the wood work, Jacob Tutwiler for the stone and brick work, C Frank Gallaher for the plaster work, McCurdy & Duke for the roof work, William Kimes for the painting work and John E Hilbert for the fire-proof vaults. In 1910, an addition was constructed. The architect was Mullet & Company. In 1919, a new building was constructed on the north side of the courthouse which building also housed the jail.
Note: Following John Brown’s three-day occupation of the US Armory and Arsenal at Harpers Ferry in 1859, he was captured and charged for “conspiring with slaves to commit treason and murder.” At the conclusion of his trial at the courthouse, Brown was found guilty of murder and treason and later hanged just several blocks away.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Jefferson County Courthouse
County Judicial Center – Charles Town
Location: 119 North George Street / West Washington Street
Built: 1908 – 1909
Architect: Captain H C Getzendanner
Contractor: Captain H C Getzendanner
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and wood structure. The east front has a central entrance on the first story with arched window above. There is a balcony on the second and third stories. The wide windows are arched. The roof line is flat. The building is called the St. Margaret’s Building after the daughter of Captain H C Getzendanner. The building was acquired by First Charles Town Group, Inc. and remodeled in 1997 to 1999 to accommodate the County Judicial Center. The architect was Helbing Lipp Ltd.
N – Washington County, Maryland
E – Loudon County, Virginia
S – Clarke County, Virginia
W – Berkeley County
Photos taken 2012