Harrison County is named for Benjamin Harrison, who was a Governor of Virginia.
Created: May 3, 1784
Clarksburg 1784 – present
County Courthouse – Clarksburg
Location: 301 West Main Street / South 3rd Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Architect: R L Walker and H F Horne of Cleveland, Ohio and Carlton C Wood of Clarksburg
Contractor: Hutter Construction Company of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Description: The building faces north and is a nine story stone, steel and concrete structure. There is a plaza on the north side with a statue of Thomas J “Stonewall” Jackson who was born in Clarksburg. The building has a structural steel frame. The sleek facade is constructed of buff colored limestone. The north front projects from the main building and rises to a clock at the top. The first story entrance and the base of the building are polished black granite. The roof line is flat.
Note: On either side of the north entrance are metal tablets symbolic of the Ten Commandments of Mosaic Law resting on black granite pedestals.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by George W Bunting and constructed by George W L Mayer in 1889.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Harrison County Courthouse
N – Marion County
Photos taken 2012