Hardy County is named for Samuel Hardy, who was a member of the Continental Congress.
Created: October 17, 1785
Moorefield 1786 – present
County Courthouse – Moorefield
Location: 204 Washington Street / North Elm Street
Built: 1913 – 1914
Architect: Milburn, Heister & Company of Washington, DC
Contractor: King Lumber Company of Charlottesville, Virginia
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The west front has four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The south side has two columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The eave projects from the building along the roof line. On the north side is a new addition constructed in 1984. The architect was Grandee, Thomas and Sprouse of Charleston.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by John B Baldwin and constructed by William Eberley in 1859.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
W – Grant County
Photos taken 2012