Grant County is named for General Ulysses S Grant ( 1822-1885 ), the 18th president of the United States.
Created: February 14, 1866
Petersburg 1866 – present
County Courthouse – Petersburg
Location: 5 Highland Avenue / Grove Street
Built: 1974 – 1976
Architect: Herbert T Stratton of Winchester, Virginia
Contractor: Harbel, Incorporated of Cumberland, Maryland
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a projecting second story. The entrance on the first story is recessed. The building is on the side of a slope with the north entrance on the second story. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Petersburg
Location: 115 Virginia Avenue / Pine Street
Built: 1908 – 1909
Architect: George F Sansbury of Cumberland, Maryland
Contractor: A W Sites and local trades
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building faces north and was completed in 1909. The north front has a large portico with four white columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are outside stairs to the second story entrance. The roof is hipped.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Old Grant County Courthouse
E – Hardy County
S – Pendleton County
Photos taken 2012