Gilmer County is named for Thomas Walker Gilmer, who was a United States Secretary of the Navy and a Governor of Virginia.
Created: February 3, 1845
DeKalb 1845 – 1846
Glenville 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Glenville
Location: 10 Howard Street / Court Street
Built: 1917 – 1923
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Holabo and Lafferty of Clarksburg
Contractor: Acme Construction Company
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building sits on a hill overlooking the town to the south. The southwest front has two large columns rising to wide header with pediment above. The entrance on the first story and the second story are recessed. The center section rises above the east and west sections. The base of the building is stone. The building was renovated in 1974
Note: The contractor, Acme Construction Company, won the contract on a low bid of $99,000 which put them into bankruptcy. The legal hassle over the completion of the building may account for the fact that the building does not have a cornerstone.
County Courthouse Annex – Glenville
Location: 101 North Court Street / Johnson Street
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: Denver R Turner of Charleston
Contractor: Facemire Brothers of Sutton
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is rectangular with the entrance at the south end of the southeast front. Glass paneled walls are divided by brick wall sections. The roof line is flat.
E – Braxton County
S – Calhoun County
Photos taken 2012