Fayette County is named for Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette, who was a French general and politician and who fought in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: February 28, 1831
Fayetteville 1831 – present
County Courthouse – Fayetteville
Location: 110 North Court Street / Maple Avenue
Built: 1894 – 1895
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Millard F Giesey and Edward Bates Franzheim of Wheeling
Contractor: Murray Brothers of Wheeling
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1895. The south front has a stone porch on the first story with four columns supporting a balcony on the second story. On the second story is a triple window with stone arches above and rising to a third story with peak. On the west side is a large square red colored brick tower with steep roof. There is stone trim decorating the building. On the east side is another stone porch. The roof is hipped. During construction, M M Rush was the superintendent.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Fayette County Courthouse
W – Kanawha County
Photos taken 2012