Doddridge County is named for Phillip Doddridge, who was a United States Congressman from Virginia.
Created: February 4, 1845
West Union 1845 – present
County Courthouse – West Union
Location: 117 East Court Street / Church Street
Built: 1899– 1903
Style: Victorian Romanesque
Architect: J Charles Fulton of Uniontown, Pennsylvania
Contractor: John P Conn
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The northeast front has a high central tower rising to a clock and steep roof. On the west side of the tower is the large stone arched entrance. The northwest corner has a round tower with conical roof. Above the entrance are three large arched windows and on the third story is a balcony with windows and a Statue of Justice below the gabled roof. The building features stone carvings by James Grant.
Note: The previous courthouse was destroyed by fire on November 27, 1898.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Doddridge County Courthouse
N – Wetzel County
Photos taken 2012