Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was an American statesman, United States Senator and Congressman from Kentucky 1806-1852, U.S. Secretary of State 1825-1829, three times Speaker of the House and three times candidate for president.
Created: March 29, 1858
Clay 1858 – present
Old County Courthouse – Clay
Location: 225 Main Street / Locust Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Frank L Packard
Contractor: L C Tyree
Description: The building faces south and is a two story yellow colored brick and stone structure. The building sits on a hill overlooking Main Street. The south front has a projecting center section with central entrance flanked by two columns on either side and with a small peaked roof above. On the second story are arched windows. On the center of the roof is a white open cupola with white dome. The roof is hipped. The base of the building is rock-face limestone. During construction, the superintendent was J W Garcelon.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Old Clay County Courthouse
County Courthouse – Clay
Location: 246 Main Street / Locust Street
Built: 1977 – 1978
Architect: R L Wilson – Jerry Goff, Associated Architects
Contractor: Carl E Stephens Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a one story light orange colored brick , concrete and glass structure. The building faces north and was completed in 1978. The north front has a large porch with wide arches and recessed glass entrance. There are no windows on the east, south or west sides. The roof line is flat.
N – Braxton County
E – Nicholas County
Photos taken 2012