Braxton County is named for Carter Braxton, who was a member of the Continental Congress.
Created: January 15, 1836
Sutton 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Sutton
Location: 307 Main Street / 4th Street
Built: 1881 – 1882
Style: Early Colonial Revival
Architect: Charles C Kemble of Wheeling
Contractor: Wood and Atchison
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The north front has an arched central entrance with stone arch trim above the windows on the first story. On the second story are arched windows with circular window at the peak. On the east and west sides, the building projects. On the center of the roof is a high square white cupola with black dome. A new addition extends east along the south side of the building. The roof is hipped. On the west side is the old Jail constructed in 1905.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Sutton Downtown Historic District
E – Webster County
S – Nicholas County
Photos taken 2012