Berkeley County is named for Norborne Berkeley, who was a Royal Governor of Virginia.
Created: February 10, 1772
Martinsburg 1772 – present
County Courthouse – Martinsburg
Location: 100 West King Street / North Queen Street
Built: 1855 – 1856
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Albert Fink
Contractor: Christian A Shaffer
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The south front has a central entrance flanked by double columns rising to a header at the top of the second story. Above is ornamentation with a projecting pediment at the roof line. On the first story are smaller double columns porticos with pediments at the top of the first story. A wide cornice runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large dome with gold colored roof and small cupola at the top. The windows on the first and second story are arched. The building was remodeled in 1908 to 19099. The architect was Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington DC. And the contractor was S A Westerhaver of Martinsburg. During construction, the superintendent was George D Whitson who had constructed a new roof for the building in 1880.. The building was renovated in 2000. The architect was Pofitt & Pryor and the contractor was W Harley Miller.
County Judicial Center – Martinsburg
Location: 380 West South Street / South Maple Avenue
Built: 1917 – 1927 and remodeled 2004 – 2006
Architect: AECOM Architects and Alpha Architects of Martinsburg
Contractor: Brechbill & Helman Construction Company of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.
Description: The building faces south and is a four story red colored brick, timber, concrete and glass structure. The building was completed in 1927 as a “U” shaped woolen mill. In 2004 to 2006, the building was remodeled. The south front has a large portico supported by four large columns. The entrance is recessed with glass panels rising to the second story. On the north side is a part stone and glass projection. The roof line is flat.
N – Washington County, Maryland
E – Jefferson County
S – Frederick County, Virginia
W – Morgan County
Photos taken 2012