Barbour County is named for Phillip Pendleton Barbour, who was a Speaker of the United States House of Representatives.
Created: March 3, 1843
Philippi 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Philippi
Location: 8 North Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1903 – 1905
Style: Richardson Romanesque
Architect: J Charles Fulton of Uniontown, Pennsylvania
Contractor: John P Conn
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story brown colored stone structure. The building is constructed of Hummelstown brownstone, a high-quality, medium-grain, dense sandstone quarried near Hummelstown in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. The southwest front has a central entrance with large projecting arch and recessed doorway. Above on the second story is a large arched window with smaller arched windows on either side. On the north side of the entrance is a four story tower with opening near the top and a steep green roof. On the south side is a corner tower with steep red roof. The roof is hipped with gables.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by John S Murdock, Amos Carroll and William Carroll in 1843.
N – Taylor County
W – Harrison County
Photos taken 2012