Wahkiakum County is named for Tall Timber, who was the leader of the Wahkiakum Native American tribe.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Cowlitz County
W – Pacific County
Created: April 24, 1854
Cathlamet 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Cathlamet
Location: 64 Main Street / Butler Street
Built: 1923 – 1924….
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Newton C Gauntt of Portland, Oregon
Contractor: C F Martin
Description: The building faces east and is a three story cream colored stucco and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Cathlamet. The east front has a large portico with two high white columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The entrance has a small pediment above with horizontal window on the second story. The building houses the County Superior Court and the County District Court. On the north side is a one story addition containing the County Superior Court courtroom when the building was remodeled in 1991 to 1994. The architect was CBC Architects of Longview.
History: The county was created in 1854 and Cathlamet was selected as the county seat. The county met in several buildings and in 1874, the first courthouse and jail were built by W W Doyle on a dock in Cathlamet at a cost of $540. The courthouse burned in 1921. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1923 to 1924 at a cost of $35,000. The building was remodeled and expanded in 1991 to 1994 at a cost of $1,171,000.
County Courthouse - Cathlamet
County Superior Court courtroom
Photos taken 2012