Thurston County is named Samuel R Thurston, who was Oregon’s first territorial delegate to Congress.
Created: January 12, 1852
Olympia 1852 – present
County Courthouse – Olympia
Location: 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW / Lakeridge Way SW
Built: 1975 – 1977
Architect: MSGS of Olympia – building #1
Bennett, Johnson, Slenes & Smith (BJSS) of Olympia – building #3
Contractor: Jones and Roberts of Olympia
Description: The building faces northwest and consists of two story concrete and glass structures. There is a three building complex situate on Mottman Hill and designed with a panoramic view of Puget Sound. The main entrance is at the northwest corner. The building is low and descends to different stories as it goes downwards from the crest of the hill. The building is constructed of sand colored brick, iron supports and glass windows. Building 1 is administration, 2 is Superior Court, Clerk and Prosecuting Attorney and 3 is Sherriff and District Court.
See: Located in the county is the Washington Supreme Court.
Old County Courthouse – Olympia
Location: 1100 Capital Way / 11th Avenue SE
Built: 1929 – 1930
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Joseph Wohleb of Oympia
Contractor: Walter Boyer of Yakima
Description: The building faces west and is a four story concrete and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and is constructed with Tenino sandstone from the south end of Thurston County. The building is “H” shaped with raised basement. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Washington State Attorney General’s Office. The building served as the courthouse from 1927 to 1977.
Note: The cost of construction was $350,000 and most of the labor was hired through the local trades council and local materials were used.
See: The architect Joseph Henry Wohleb also designed the courthouse in Mason County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Old Thurston County Courthouse
Old County Courthouse – Olympia
Location: 600 Washington Street SE / 7th Avenue
Built: 1890 – 1892
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: W A Ritchie
Contractor: Rigby & Evans
Description: The building faces west and is a three story stone structure. The building faces west onto Sylvester. The building was built of Chuckanut sandstone. The building was originally topped by eight turrets and a central eight-sided clock tower. The rounded arches and massive stone bulk are typical of the Romanesque Revival style. The building served as the courthouse until 1901 and as the second State Capitol in 1901 until 1927. In 1901 a wing was added to the east side. In 1928. A fire destroyed the central clock tower and many of the turrets were damaged by the earthquake of 1949. The architect was W A Ritchie and the contractor was Rigby & Evans. The building still houses state departments and the Office of the Superintendent of Instruction. The building was renovated in 1983. The architect was Tonkin / Greissinger / Cuykenadale / Isles / Architects and the contractor was Atlas Construction Company and Gilbert H Moen Company.
Note: The first courthouse was the A M Poe office from 1852 to 1871. The second courthouse was an Olympia school from 1871 to 1892. The third courthouse was occupied from 1892 to 1901 and sold to the state. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1901 and served until 1930. The building was demolished in 1934. The architect was Saunders & Lawton and the contractor was Charles Patnud.
E – Pierce County
S – Lewis County
Courthouse 1852 – 1871
Courthouse 1874 – 1892
Courthouse 1901 – 1930
Photos taken 2016