Pierce County is named for Franklin Pierce, who was President of the United States from 1853 to 1857.
Created: April 25, 1854
Tacoma 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Tacoma
Location: 930 Tacoma Avenue South / South 9th Street
Built: 1958 – 1959
Architect: A Gordon Lumm
Contractor: Macdonald Building Company.
Description: The building faces east and consists of a ten story buff colored brick, concrete and glass tower structure on the north and a three story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure on the south. The north and south buildings are joined in the center by a low two story entrance structure. The south building has a large glass section along the east side. The north building has windows facing north and south. The roof line is flat. The building is called the County City Building and houses the City of Tacoma offices.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Proctor & Dennis and constructed by John T Long in 1883. The tower was removed in 1949 and the building was demolished to make way for the present courthouse.
Photos Taken 2009 and 2016