Pend Oreille County is named for the Pend Oreille Native American tribe, who were named by the French for “earring” or “hangs in the ear”.
Created: March 1, 1911
Newport 1911 – present
County Courthouse – Newport
Location: 625 West 4th Street / South Warner Avenue
Built: 1915 – 1916
Architect: Williams and Williams
Contractor: T W Hartness
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete rectangular structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has a recessed entrance in the center of the north side. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line. The building houses the County Administration. The building was renovated in 1992. The architect was Zeck Butler.
County Hall of Justice – Newport
Location: 229 South Garden Avenue / West 2nd Street
Built: 1979 – 1980
Architect: Walker McGoush Foltz Lyeria
Contractor: Lill Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The is located on spacious landscaped grounds and is triangular in shape. The windows are horizontal with a wide concrete band along the flat roof line. The building was named in 1996 as the James P McNally Hall of Justice.
Note: The cost of construction was $760,000.
N – British Columbia, Canada
S – Spokane County
W – Stevens County
Photos taken 2006, 2009 and 2016