Okanogan County

US States / V-Z / Washington / Okanogan County
Okanogan

Okanogan County is named for the Salish Native American word meaning “rendezvous”

 

Surroundimng County Courthouses: 

N – British Columbia, Canada

E – Ferry County

S – Lincoln County, Douglas County and Chelan County

W – Chelan CountySkagit County and Whatcom County

 

Created:  February 2, 1888                    Map of Washington highlighting Okanogan County

County Seat: 

Ruby City    1888

Conconully  1888 – 1914

Okanogan   1914 – present

 

County Courthouse – Okanogan 

 

Location:  149 North 3rd Avenue / North Pine Street

Built:  1915 – 1916

Style:  Spanish Mission

Architect:  George H Keith of Spokane

Contractor:  D Davenport of Omak

 

Description:  The building  faces southeast and is a three story gray stucco and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on a hillside in the center of Okanogan. The southeast front has a central tower with clock rising to a smaller tower at the top. The first story entrance is arched and projects from the bottom of the tower. There is red colored trim around the windows and a horizontal red band above the first story. The roof has dormers and a red roof. The interior has a central lobby detailed in wood leading to a stairway. The County District Court courtroom is located on the southwest side of the third story and is decorated with plaster pilasters and cornice and has a fifteen foot coved ceiling. The County Superior Court courtroom is located on the northeast side of the third story. On the second story is a small courtroom located on the southwest side. The building houses the County Superior Court and the County District Court. On the north side is a three story addition constructed in 1949 to 1950 as the County Courthouse Annex. The architect was L Solberg of Wenatchee. On the south side is a modern two story addition. On the south side is the County Jail and to the north is the County Administration Building constructed in 1978.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Okanogan County Coutyhouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1888 and Ruby was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log cabin. In 1889, the county seat was moved to Conconully and space was rented. The second courthouse was a two story frame structure built on Mineral Hill at a cost of $2,495 in 1891. In 1914, the county seat was moved to Okanogan. The county offices were located in the old Freer store building, which had been fixed up as a temporary courthouse. A makeshift jail was fixed up in the Miller Building and court was held in the city council chamber. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1914 to 1915 at a cost of $37,018. The cost of the 1950 County Courthouse Annex was $225,000.

 

 

794wc22

County Courthouse – Okanogan

 

 

796wc22

 

 

1106wc09

 

 

1104wc09

 

 

1105wc09

 

 

797wc22

 

 

798wc22

 

 

799wc22

 

 

801wc22

 

 

803wc22

 

 

804wc22

County District Court courtroom

 

 

805wc22

 

 

806wc22

 

 

808wc22

 

 

802wc22

 

 

809wc22

County Superior Court courtroom

 

 

810wc22

 

 

811wc22

 

 

812wc22

 

 

813wc22

 

 

814wc22

Small Courtroom

 

 

815wc22

 

 

816wc22

 

 

1107wc09

 

 

1109wc09

County Jail – Okanogan

 

 

817wc22

County Administration Building – Okanogan

 

 

818wc22

 

 

819wc22

 

 

1083wc09

 

 

1090wc09

Photos taken 2009 and 2022