Ferry County

US States / V-Z / Washington / Ferry County
Ferry

Ferry County is named for Elisha P Ferry, who was the first Governor of the State of Washington.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – British Columbia, Canada

E – Stevens County

S – Lincoln County

W – Okanogan County

 

Created:  February 21, 1889                  Map of Washington highlighting Ferry County

County Seat: 

Republic  1889 – present

 

County Courthouse – Republic 

 

Location:  350 East Delaware Avenue / North Portland Street

Built:  1936 – 1937

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  George M Rasque

Contractor:  Harding and Schreiner.

 

Description:  The building  faces south and is a three story light white-yellow colored stucco and concrete  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Republic. The building is rectangular and the south front has a high projecting entrance with wide header at the top and recessed doorway on the first story. The roof line is flat. The building is a Projects Work Administration. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1889 and Republic was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a wood shack. The second courthouse was a two story frame structure designed and built by Thomas L Grant under the supervision of the commissioners Yeargin, Percy and Wilmotin in 1899. The courthouse burned in 1935. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1936 to 1937 at a cost of $50,000.

 

 

1116wc09

County Courthouse – Republic

 

 

1117wc09

 

 

1119wc09

Photos taken 2009