Douglas County

US States / V-Z / Washington / Douglas County
823O12

Douglas County is named for Stephen A Douglas, who was a United States Senator from Illinois.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Okanogan Counry

E – Okanogan County and Grant County

S – Grant County and Kittitas County

W – Chelan County

 

Created:  November 28, 1883                Map of Washington highlighting Douglas County

County Seat: 

Waterville  1883 – present

 

County Courthouse – Waterville

 

Location:  203 South Rainier Street / East Birch Street

Built:  1904 – 1905

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Newton C Gauntt

Contractor:  William Oliver

 

Description:  The building  faces west and is a three story stone and red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Waterville. The west front has a large stone arch at the central entrance and a stone facing on the first story. Above the entrance are three windows on the second story and an arched window on the third story. Above rises a square red colored brick tower with open top and conical roof. An addition on the east side was designed by L Solberg in 1950. On the south side is a new entrance which connects to the Courthouse Annex.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Waterville

 

828o12

 

Location:  203 South Rainier Street / East Birch Street

Built:  2001 – 2002

Style:  Modern

Architect:  KDF Architecture

Contractor:  G G Richardson, Inc.

 

Description:  The building  faces west and is a one story rough stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Waterville. There are long vertical; windows and metal canopies over the windows. The building is connected on the north side to the courthouse in the center of Waterville with a glass entrance. The roof line is flat.

 

History:  The county was created in 1883 and Okanogan City was selected as the county seat. In 1884, the county held the first meeting in Okanagan’s only structure Mann’s tent. Later in 1885, B L Martin completed a 24 foot by 36 foot store building which became the first courthouse and the only building in Okanogan City. The county seat was moved to Waterville in 188. The second courthouse was built in 1886. In 1889 the third courthouse was a two story frame structure. The courthouse was destroyed by fire, The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1904 to 1905.

 

 

822o12

County Courthouse – Waterville

 

 

825o12

 

 

824o12

 

 

826o12

 

 

830o12

County Courthouse Annex – Waterville

 

 

827o12

 

 

829o12

 

 

831o12

Photos taken 2012