Clark County is named for William Clark, who was the co-captain of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Created: June 27, 1844
Vancouver 1845 – present
County Courthouse – Vancouver
Location: 1200 Franklin Street / West 13th Street
Built: 1940 – 1941
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Walter Day Hilborn of Vancouver
Contractor: Ross B Hammond Company
Description: The building faces east and is a five story pink colored stucco and concrete structure. The east front has a two story recessed section in the center with the main entrance projecting from the building on the first story. Above is a sculpture of the “voyageurs”. The building recesses in tiers. There are vertical dividers between the windows. The roof line is flat. On the west side and connected by a sky bridge is the Clark County Corrections Center constructed from 1982 to 1983. The architect was Nelson, Walla, Dolle & Company of Vancouver and Henningson, Durham & Richardson of Dallas, Texas and the contractor was Gilnett Construction Company of Longview.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by W A Ritchie and built in 1892.
N – Cowlitz County
E – Skmania County
W – Columbia County, Oregon
Photos taken 2012