Chelan County

US States / V-Z / Washington / Chelan County
807O12

Chelan County is named for a Native American word meaning “deep water” and also for Lake Chelan.

 

Created:  March 13, 1899

County Seat: 

Wenatchee  1899 – present

 

County Courthouse – Wenatchee 

 

Location:  350 Orondo Avenue / Washington Street

Built:  1924 – 1925

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Morrison-Stimson-Solberg

Contractor:  Jarl & Lasker

 

Description:  The building  faces northeast and is a four story rectangular buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building has a horizontal stone first story and sits on the side of a gentle rise. The northeast front has a central entrance and is framed with stone. The third story windows are arched. The roof line is flat On the northwest side is the County Law and Justice Facility.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was built in 1901.

 

County Law and Justice Facility – Wenatchee 

 

815o12

 

Location:  350 Orondo Avenue / Washington Street

Built:  1982 – 1983

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Fraley, Leighton & Associates

Contractor:  Voth Brothers Construction

 

Description:  The building  faces southeast and is a four story rectangular buff brick and concrete structure. The building is connected to the courthouse on the southeast side. There are narrow horizontal windows. There is a wide horizontal band of concrete running below the flat roof line.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Skagit County and Okangon County 

E – Douglas County

S – Kittitas County

W – King County, Snohomish County and Skagit County

 

 

 

803o12

 

 

808o12

 

 

804o12

 

 

805o12

 

 

811o12

 

 

813o12

 

 

814o12

 

 

818o12

Photos taken 2012